It’s that time of the year when we clean out our closets to make room for the latest spring trends. We’re looking to obtain a more refreshed aura to welcome the spring season! But it’s not just about our wardrobe or our homes, it’s about our bodies. We have to cleanse ourselves in order to get that soft springtime “glow”.
Today I want to take time out to focus on what should be a girl’s foremost feature—her face. As women, we love to be beautiful…we wear makeup…lashes…hair extensions…but some of us tend to take our skin for granted. It’s very important that we develop a daily skin regimen and stick to it. Below are some major no-no’s and the explanations to follow.
Never Sleep In Your Make-Up
This is a great way to ruin your skin. Whether you wear makeup everyday or just occasionally, it is so important that you cleanse your skin thoroughly before going to bed. Our facial skin is very delicate and more sensitive to irritants and foreign substances than the skin on other parts of our body. This is why we MUST give it special attention.
Sleeping in makeup will clog your pores, therefore trapping bacteria and creating acne. A pimple-ridden face is not attractive! Did you know that sleeping in makeup also has the potential to enhance the appearance of wrinkles?? How? Leaving makeup on for overly extensive periods of time will dry your skin out and make any existing wrinkles beneath the epidermis more visible. Now I do understand that some of us like to go out and party and we may just be a smidge too intoxicated/tired to wash our makeup off once we’ve gotten home. Don’t fret, just be sure to wash it off first thing in the morning and apply some moisturizer (and whatever other skin products you use) and aim for going makeup-less that day (gives your skin a chance to breathe/recuperate). Bottom line: Try really hard not to sleep in your makeup.
Don’t Use Highly Abrasive Scrubs
Yes, we all need to exfoliate. It sloughs off dead skin cells and unmasks beautiful, new skin. This is what we want! But what we DON’T want to do is to tear the facial skin because we’ve used a scrub that’s basically the same texture as a brillo pad. Use scrubs that have microbeads, for a smoother finish.
I found a great list of the “best and worst” scrubs on http://www.totalbeauty.com They are listed below:
- Mario Badescu Strawberry Face Scrub
- Neutrogena Blackhead Eliminating Daily Scrub
- St. Ives Naturally Clear Green Tea Scrub
- Burt’s Bees Peach & Willowbark Deep Pore Scrub
- Dermologica Daily Microfoliant $50
- Olay Skin Smoothing Cream Scrub $6.99
- Burt’s Bees Citrus Facial Scrub $8.00
- Philosophy The Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash $25
- Clinique Exfoliating Scrub (one I personally use and love!!!) $18.50
- Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser $35
- Benefit “honey snap out of it scrub” $21
- The Body Shop Seaweed Pore-Cleansing Facial Exfoliator $14.50
- Cosmedicine Medi-Morphosis Self-Adjusting Exfoliator $24.99
Follow Arianne on instagram: