*This article is not intended to provide medical advice.
The best thing about diving into a potential drunken evening, is knowing there’s a cure for the morning after. This is vacation season! Don’t wait until your eyes are struggling to open from a night of drinking to begin looking for something to relieve that nausea and headache. Some people simply [excuse me] vomit and are “cured”, but others, not so much.
Hangovers are unpleasant psychological effects that occur after a day/night of heavy alcohol consumption. Side effects include but are not limited to: headaches, nausea, diarrhea, thirst/dehydration, sensitivity to light and loud noise, & dysphoria. A mixture of several different alcoholic beverages could lead to alcohol poisoning. (It’s best to stick to one type of beverage in the one setting).
1.First thing is first — PREVENTION is the best way to cure a hangover. Staying away from it to its entirety will relieve you of the pounding headache and over the toilet stomach pain. But if you must drink, eat a heavy meal prior & during (if it’s a long night).
2. If you are unable to vomit on your own, drink hot tea. Consuming hot tea will help to clean our your system and help with the vomit process. Ginger tea relieves nausea. Taken in any form, it will relieve nausea.
3. Drink water/sports drinks before and after drinking. Sports drinks help to break down the alcohol in your system and keeps you hydrated, a great choice to clean out your system.
4. Eat bland foods like burnt toast, cereal, and crackers. The carbon in burnt toast helps to filter impurities which is the cause of many people to get alcohol poisoning.
6. Granulated antacid to consume just by pouring into a glass and drinking. This will ease body ache.
7. Fresh squeezed lemon juice or simply suck on a slice.
8. Dill pickle juice.
9. Steep 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder in 1 cup boiling water, strain, and sip for nausea.
10. Sleep. The last and most important cure to a hangover is giving your body the time to recover.
[via Irish Pub Guides, CNN Health, Discovery Health]