A 7 month old baby boy has died as of result of eating a single laundry detergent pod. Detergent pods, which are candy-colored and liquid, are increasingly popular and very accessible amongst young children.
According to The Huff Post, the Florida Poison Information Center says the boy’s death may be the first in the U.S. involving young children who were exposed to chemicals in concentrated laundry packets since May 2012, when the center first received an exposure report. The center says it has received almost 300 exposure reports so far this year.
“With young children, any household product is likely to end up in their mouth,” said Dr. Cynthia Lewis-Younger, the center’s medical director. “Most exposures in Florida involved children tasting or licking the concentrated liquid packets, which don’t cause children to become seriously ill. Parents know that things in the house can be dangerous and they call for advice. And (in) many of those cases we can reassure parents.”