WASHINGTON, D.C. (January 21, 2016) — BET Networks announced today that Empire’s Jussie Smollet and V. Bozeman, American Idol winner Fantasia, soul singer Leon Bridges, R&B star Ledisi and legendary band The Deele will pay tribute to the 2016 BET Honors recipients. Also joining the star-studded lineup as presenters are Golden Globe-winning actress Taraji P. Henson and Grammy winner Mary J. Blige.
BET Networks will celebrate black excellence this weekend at the ninth annual “BET Honors” special hosted by comedian, television personality and actor Arsenio Hall. The special night will honor five distinguished African Americans performing at exceptional levels in the areas of art, music, theater, technology and business:
- Lee Daniels (Television and Film Award), Academy Award nominated filmmaker and creator of the hit television show Empire.
- Mellody Hobson (Corporate Citizen Award), President of Ariel Investments, one of the largest African American owned money management and mutual fund companies in the U.S. and current Chairman of the Board of Directors for Dreamworks Animation.
- Eric H. Holder, Jr. (Public Service Award), the first African American United States Attorney General and partner at Covington & Burling, LLP in Washington D.C.
- Patti Labelle (Musical Arts Awards), the iconic Grammy Award winning singer whose powerhouse voice has sold over 50 million records worldwide.
- L.A. Reid (The Business of Entertainment Award), Chairman & CEO of Epic Records, a three-time Grammy Award winner and prolific music mogul who helped launch some of the biggest music careers and superstars of today.
“BET Honors” will be taped at the historic Warner Theatre in Washington, D.C. on Saturday, January 23, 2016 and will premiere on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 8 p.m. EST during Black History Month on BET Networks.
For more information on “BET Honors,” visit http://www.bet.com/bethonors. Join the conversation about the special on Twitter by using hashtags: #BETHonors; follow the show for all updates & special surprises @BET.